Financial Aid for Veterans

Blue Ridge CTC financial aid assists Veterans, service members, and their qualified family members with paying for college tuition, finding the right school or program with effective counseling. Learn how to apply for and manage the education and benefits you have earned!

Schedule an Appointment

Contact Info

School Certifying Officials:

Financial Assistance for Veterans – Our Mission

Silver Icon

Our mission is to provide personal and academic support to all veterans of the U.S. military wanting to begin or continue their college education. We offer guidance and support in the admissions and financial aid processes, along with providing a level of support that conveys our appreciation of your service to our country. We thank you!

Guide To Educational Benefits

Current military members, Veterans, and dependents may be eligible for educational benefits through the federal government and/or the state of West Virginia. This guide will assist our students in understanding which chapter of benefits they qualify for. Please contact the Office of Veterans Affairs or email Veteran Services Office at Blue Ridge CTC for further details or questions in regards to eligibility and programs available.

Vet Resource Center

Veterans now have access to a resource center, which is available in room 2106 on the Main Campus. Refer to the schedule outside the classroom for availability.

Educational Benefits Available

* The application processes and eligibility requirements for tuition assistance is separate and different from the application process for VA educational benefits. You could qualify and receive either or both.

* Federal TA and VA educational benefits may conflict and not be used in conjunction. Please contact for more information or questions.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the US Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official US government web site at

Decide Which Chapter Works Best For You

Review VA Comparison Tool


Important Links

Applying for Veteran Benefits

You must apply for VA Educational Benefits in order to receive them. To apply for Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty or Reserve Benefits under Chapters 30, 1606 and 1607, or the Post 9/11 GI Bill ®, please do the following:

  • Complete the application for VA Education Benefits online
  • Once this information is processed you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail from the VA Regional Processing Center located in St. Louis, MO.
  • Please provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility and your DD-214 to the VA Certifying Officials.
  • Provide all transcripts from your military training experience
  • With the assistance of your advisor, develop a degree plan that outlines all courses necessary for graduation
    • Only courses aligned with your degree program will be paid for by the VA
  • Once you are registered for classes, you will need to submit your online Veteran Enrollment Reporting Form to the Veteran Services Office electronically.
  • At the end of each month (Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607) you will need to contact the VA to “Certify Your Attendance.” You will receive a text message from the VA to verify.

If you have used your GI Bill® at another institution or are changing majors under Active Duty and Reserve Benefits Chapters 30, 33, 1606 and 1607 :

  • Complete form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.
  • Provide your “Certificate of Eligibility”, DD-214, your enrollment information, and the Benefits Certification Form to the VA Certifying Officials at Blue Ridge.

If you have any questions in regards to educational benefits, please contact


Blue Ridge Community Technical College policy allows Veterans and Active Duty Military Personnel residing outside of West Virginia to be eligible for in-state tuition. Students should file the residency petition below. The residency policy allows veterans and current military service members residing outside of West Virginia to be eligible for in-state tuition. If you are a dependent of a veteran or service member attending Blue Ridge Community and Technical College under any VA Education benefit (i.e. Chapter 33, Chapter 35, MyCAA), you are also eligible for in-state tuition.

Veteran Residency Petition

Current Military Members to include National Guard or Reserve

Tuition Assistance is available for all active duty military members. More information on tuition assistance can be found Armed Forces TA Program

State Tuition Assistance for Guard members can be found online.

  • Requests need to be submitted at least 60 days prior to the start of each semester
  • Grades need to be submitted after the completion of each semester

Federal Tuition Assistance for Reserve members can be found online.

  • Requests need to be submitted 2 to 3 weeks before the start of each semester
  • Paper forms also need to be submitted (read instructions carefully)
  • Grades need to be submitted after the completion of each semester

Post 9-11 GI Bill ® (Chapter 33):

  • The Post 9/11 GI Bill ® will pay the tuition and fees directly to the school. Students attending school with a greater than half time rate of pursuit will be given a monthly housing allowance based on the Zip Code of the school. Online only students will receive a housing allowance half of the national average. Every student receives an annual book stipend of up to $1,000.

Montgomery GI Bill ® (Chapter 30):

  • The Montgomery GI Bill ® pays a flat rate per term /semester. The monthly rate is paid to the student and it is the student’s responsibility to pay the school for tuition/fees. There is no housing allowance or book stipend for students utilizing this chapter.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31):

  • If you have a service connected disability, you may be entitled to benefits under this program. Veterans will contact their VA Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor and submit an application. It will be necessary to have a disability rating to participate in this program.
  • Once deemed entitled by Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor and you are accepted to Blue Ridge, the VA counselor will send Blue Ridge an Authorization 1905 Form to certify your enrollment. Please provide your registration of classes to the VA Certifying Officials.

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35):

  • This benefit is for spouses and children of 100% permanently and totally disabled veterans. This benefit pays a monthly amount directly to the student. The student must then pay the school for tuition/fees. There is no housing allowance or book stipend for students utilizing this chapter of benefits.

Side Bar Icon

Increase Font SizeDecrease Font Size