How to File an Official Complaint

How to File an Official Complaint

The U.S. Department of Education’s “Program Integrity” regulations require that each state has a student complaint procedure in order for public and private higher education institutions to be eligible for Title IV funds.  The West Virginia Council for Community and Technical College Education (Council) and West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission (Commission) are responsible for monitoring all written and signed student complaints against degree granting institutions authorized to operate in West Virginia.

Prior to sending a complaint to the Council/Commission, the student should bring the complaint to the institution in an informal fashion.

Informal Complaints should be submitted to:

Assistant Dean of Student Outreach
Dr. Jennifer Barrett-Smith
304.260.4380 ext 2111

View the complaint process online using the Student Handbook.

Complaints to the President’s Office

The President of the Blue Ridge Community and Technical College wants each and every student to receive a quality education.  Should you, the student, wish to file a complaint with the President, please adhere to the following format:

  • All complaints must be in writing. Any verbal complaint will not be considered official. Email or USPS mail is appropriate.
  • Complaints must contain the student identification number and full name.
  • Full contact information of the complainant.
  • Full disclosure of issue, including any documentation as appropriate.

Important Notes:

  • Complaints pertaining to a grade appeal must follow the Grade Appeal Process found in the Student Handbook.
  • Complaints pertaining to a Title IX violation must follow the Title IX established form.
  • All official written complaints are investigated.  Anonymity is preserved only when appropriate.
  • The College has a zero tolerance policy for retaliation.
  • Complaints will be handled in a timely fashion.  Contact with the complainant will be made the following business day after receipt of the official complaint.

Submit a Complaint to the President’s Office

Filing a Complaint With the WV Council/Commission

If, after exhausting internal grievance procedures, the institution has not responded to the complainant’s satisfaction or a satisfactory remedy has not been found, the complainant may contact the Council/Commission for further investigation into the issue.

Complaints to HLC

The complaint process is designed to identify substantive problems with an institution’s ability to meet the Criteria for Accreditation. HLC’s policy on complaints provides a full description of the type of complaints that HLC will review.

View the HLC website to file a complaint.

Sidebar Icon

Increase Font SizeDecrease Font Size