Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
As a community comprised of students, faculty, staff, and external stakeholders, we strive for diversity, equity, and inclusion on our campuses, both inside and outside of the classroom. The Committee finds it important to define what Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion means on our campuses.
- Diversity encompasses the individuality of each person while recognizing each individual is unique in regards to race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, culture, age, religion, gender, and disabilities and exceptionalities.
- Equity is to remove barriers so that all are afforded the same opportunities.
- Inclusion is to create a welcoming atmosphere where all are valued, celebrated, and included.
These definitions are important to understanding our current climate at Blue Ridge CTC, and in moving forward to enhancing the diversity, equity, and inclusion students, faculty, and staff experience on our campuses.
As a learning community, we make it a priority to promote services and remove barriers to increase the diversity of our educational environment through services and policies that support all of our students, faculty, and staff, including:
- Interpretation services for American Sign Language for classrooms and meetings on campus (both live and remote services offered)
- Diversity in hiring practices (AA/EEO)
- Mandatory Title IX training required of all faculty, staff, and students
- Veteran’s Services
- Accessibility through distance learning-technology
- Office of Accessibility Services
- Classroom and facility accommodations
- Supports for English Language Learners
- Diversity in the curriculum (social and cultural awareness)
- Student/Staff organizations and trainings to support LGBTQ+ population
- Supports for individuals in active addictions/recovery
- Mental Health and Grief Counseling Services
- Free tutoring services (live and online)
- Job placement services
It is our responsibility to adhere to the high standards of diversity, equity, and inclusion that we set not only for ourselves, but to ensure that those whom we educate understand the importance that diversity has in our community. Therefore, we pledge to do all that we are able to in order to embrace and engage the power that a diverse culture can accomplish.
As an independent community college and an important contributor to our service area since 2005, Blue Ridge Community and Technical College (CTC) is dedicated to providing a diverse student population with collaborative programs and support services to improve the quality of life and promote economic development. The College is committed to diversity in its policies, programs, and external relationships, as well as in its effort to build, promote, and sustain a cultural of excellence through intercultural skills. We strive to be understanding, inclusive, and accepting of diverse points of view, lifestyles, and personal choices that make each person unique, and we recognize these attributes are vitally important to the success of our students, our employees, our community, and our College.
The Diversity & Inclusion Strategic Plan finalized in 2020 provides an assessment of our current environment and establishes goals and action steps that demonstrate an ongoing commitment to an inclusive workplace and learning environment that values diversity. The College recognizes this will be a continual learning process and strategy that will require dedicated effort and improvement beyond the initial work completed by the task force that began development of the plan in 2015.
Review our Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Plan for 2020-2023