Help Desk Support Technician
City of Winchester, VA
Winchester, VA 22601
$41,122 a year
The City of Winchester is excited to announce we are currently recruiting for a Help Desk Support Technician in our IT Department! This position involves technical work analyzing, troubleshooting and configuring computer applications and systems for City users. Work is performed under regular supervision.
Duties, Responsibilities, Miscellaneous Information
- Provides software, network, server, printer, and PC support;
- Interfaces with third party support and vendors, and is required to attend various meetings related to computer technology;
- Creates reports from selected databases for internal and external consumption based respective departments’ needs;
- Works as an integral member of the help desk support team;
- Installs, tests, configures, and uses operating systems and application software and network hardware according to City standards;
- Supports Network/System Administrator Windows Active Directory operations;
- Troubleshoots and repairs or oversees repairs of computer systems and local and wide area networks;
- Responds to Help Desk requests and ensures user problems involving hardware and/or software are managed in a timely, professional manner;
- Protects the integrity of integrated systems data, maintains confidentiality of computer codes and other sensitive information, provides network support by monitoring user ports and solves problems when necessary;
- Creates and uses equipment inventory control methodologies to track PC’s and other computer equipment and software;
- Other duties as assigned
Education and/or Experience: An Associate Degree in computer technology or related field or one-year experience related to this position is preferred but any combination of certifications, education and experience related to this position may be considered. Experience in Windows desktop and server operating systems and the installation, configuration, troubleshooting, and repair of personal computer systems/software required. Some experience with networked computer systems preferred. Experience in the design, specification, installation, and support of complex local and wide area computer networks and basic IBM (AS400/iSeries/System i) system and application software a plus. Experience in Internet Web resources and e-mail. Experience managing mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, Android tablets and phones) and Apple Mac OS is a plus.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Certification (A+) preferred. Possession of a valid and appropriate driver’s license.
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend. Ability to write using proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Ability to speak and communicate effectively using correct English.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Comprehensive knowledge of operation, uses, and capabilities of personal computer hardware and software. Knowledge of local and wide area network systems. Ability to function as an integral team member with knowledge of customer service standards and procedures and communicate technical information clearly and concisely to City employees of all levels of technical sophistication. Ability to install and configure computer systems, hardware, and peripherals. Ability to analyze and describe problems graphically and logically and maintain accurate records. Ability to initiate and sustain multiple projects and complete tasks independently. Ability to set up and utilize maintenance procedures and schedules. Ability to design computer configurations, diagnose the nature and extent of a wide range of computer problems and give recommendations. Ability to make fast and accurate judgment calls independently. Ability to be flexible regarding work hours if required.
Background: Police Department employees must be able to obtain VCIN certification and pass a background check and polygraph. Information Technology employees must pass a background check.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CHARACTERISTICS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Required Physical Activities: Requires light physical effort working almost exclusively with lightweight materials (up 50 pounds) including but not limited to walking, talking, stooping, kneeling, light lifting, bending, crawling and gripping.
Vision Requirements: Minimum requirements set by the Division of Motor Vehicles.
Environmental Conditions: Work is conducted indoors under controlled temperatures.
EQUIPMENT ESSENTIAL TO DO THE JOB: Telephone, computers, printers, scanners, tape drive, calculator, plotter, modems, small hand tools, and ladders.