Jefferson County Schools
POSITION: IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR:
Informational Technology System Administrator
Director of Technology
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
Minimum 261 days annually, pursuant to WV Code 18A-4-8;
extended employment terms may be established by JCBOE
SALARY: Pursuant to WV Code 18A-4-8a, in accordance with Jefferson County
Salary Scale. Professional 3rd Tier.
EVALUATION: Performance in this position will be evaluated annually by the
Director of Technology/immediate supervisor and in accordance with WV State Code 18A-2-12, WV State Board Policy 5314, and JCBOE’s Evaluation Policy for Professional Personnel.
The role of the Informational Technology System Administrator is to manage in-house computer software systems, servers, storage devices and network connections to ensure high availability and security of the supported applications. This individual also participates in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure system provisioning and maintenance that is consistent with the Jefferson County Schools IT Department goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time for any reason, including reasonable accommodation.
- Manage virtual and physical servers with updated and appropriate Windows operating systems
- Manage Active Directory, Imaging, and server and workstation patching with SCCM
- Manage the physical and virtual environment (VMware) of servers and virtual desktop
- infrastructure (VOl)
- Have familiarity with MS SQL server, windows clustering, domain controller setup, active directory, and group policy
- Ensure the security of the server infrastructure by implementing industry best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance
- Participates in developing and maintaining documentation about current environment setup, standard operating procedures, and best practices
- Manage end user accounts, permissions, access rights, and storage allocations in accordance with best-practices
- Perform and test routine system backups and restores
- Anticipate, identify, troubleshoot, mitigate and correct hardware and software issues on servers, and workstations. Escalate incidents as necessary
- Practice server asset management, including maintenance of server component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software and hardware upgrades, patches and reconfigurations
- Develop required reports in response to end user and management needs
- Manage vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure software products and services
- Manage the physical environment of the server racks including cable management, documentation, labeling, and configuration of KVM switching for console and remote access
- Build and deploy new servers on the network as needed
- Have familiarity with NAS and SAN storage management, and MS DFS
- Have familiarity with Cisco routing and switching principles and hardware
- Assist in the completion of the work order system requests
- Manage Google Administrator duties
- Be available for emergencies outside of normal business hours should they arise
- Other duties may be assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Associates Degree in technology-related field
- Any industry certification
- Criminal background check conducted pursuant to
- WV Code 18A-5-15c
- CompTIA A+ certification
- MCP and Network+ certifications. CompTIA Security+
- CCENT or CCNA
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires the ability to perform the duties contained in this description. Valid driver’s license. Ability to lift and move computer terminals and peripheral equipment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud (60-90 dB).
The information contained in the job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of duties performed by this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned by the Superintendent or his/her designee.