Job Title: Kitchen Supervisor
Department: Food Service
Reports to: Food Services Manager
One of the highlights for many of Capon’s guests is our food! Country recipes have been passed down through generations resulting in mouthwatering meals and desserts. We are seeking a Kitchen Supervisor to bring great energy and leadership to our team in the kitchen. The person chosen for this role should have a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and proven kitchen experience. The kitchen supervisor will lead a team that works together to prepare homemade comfort food for guests and staff in an all-you-can-eat meal, served family or buffet style in our dining room or Sunset Hill Lodge Pavilion.
Capon Springs and Farms proudly offers a rich history, steeped in tradition and a commitment to our guests and co-workers. We invite you to learn more about our culture and company at www.caponsprings.net.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
• Responsible for assisting with the overall operation of the food service departments including the bake shop, cooking kitchen, food prep/back kitchen, and dishwashing.
• Ensures the quality of food served to guests continues a culinary experience that is an expression of from scratch preparation.
• Embraces Capons core value of “tradition” by ensuring the Capon menu is consistently maintained while striving to improve quality.
• Maintains a food and dining strategy that addresses the needs of the resort with approximately 250 guest capacity and its family style or buffet style of service for guests and staff.
• Coordinates operations of the kitchen by training coworkers, assigning tasks, and filling in as needed in all roles of the food service department.
• Assist with streamlining kitchen processes to maintain prompt service times which typically are 8:30 am for breakfast, 1 pm for lunch, and 6 pm for dinner.
• Assists Food Services Manager with maintaining inventory and ordering necessary food items and supplies. Assists with stocking, rotating, and accepting deliveries.
• Maintains knowledge of guests, guests count, and special dietary needs.
• Responds to guest feedback and questions related to food service in the absence of the Food Services Manager.
• Coaches, counsels, and ensures all co-workers adhere to policies, procedures, and applicable laws, and documents any performance issues of staff.
• Participates in interviews when available to assist with hiring decisions of food service personnel.
• Assists with fiscal management by limiting food waste, demonstrating care with use and maintenance of kitchen equipment and supplies, and facilitating a productive work environment in accordance with staff schedules.
• Maintains a safe, secure, and healthy environment by establishing and enforcing sanitation standards and procedures. Obtain and maintain a current Food Handlers certification.
• Demonstrate knowledge of and train food service co-workers on allergen information to minimize risk with food service offerings.
• Maintain communications with all food service departments during daily operations and scheduled meetings. Participate as needed in inter-departmental operational meetings.
• High School diploma or equivalent required.
• Culinary or related degree preferred.
• Three or more years’ experience in a related field.
• One to two years’ experience in kitchen or restaurant supervision or a related field.
Knowledge and Characteristics:
• Knowledge of kitchen sanitation and safety regulations
• Ability to manage a team in a fast-paced work environment.
• Supervisory experience and the ability to oversee and delegate work assignments.
• Ability to maintain professional, courteous working relationships with co-workers and other department managers.
• Computer skills including a basic understanding of email, word processing, and spreadsheets.
• Driver’s license and acceptable driving record required due to operating company vehicles.
Terms of Employment:
This is a 34-week seasonal salaried position with expectations to work 40-50 hours per week. The position begins approximately 4 weeks prior to Capon’s opening day and extends one week beyond Capon’s closing date. The expected start date for the 2023 season is March 27th and extends through November 17th. Days will vary but may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Days off will be coordinated with the Food Service Manager to ensure
supervision is present during all operating hours of the kitchen. Seasonal co-workers are eligible to file low earnings unemployment claims, during the off season. Compensation range for this position depending on experience is $684-800/week and is paid bi-weekly.
This job description is not intended to and does not create a contract or offer of employment. If hired, employment will be on an at-will basis and can be terminated by either party.
Job Title: Kitchen Supervisor