Nursing Orientation Module
How to Access Nursing Program Pre-Orientation Module above:
1. Access our Blackboard+ catalog of course offerings.
2. Select the “Nursing Program Orientation” module from the list of courses and click the “Enroll Now” button.
3. If you are a current student, select “Sign In” and use your Blackboard credentials. If you are not a current Blue Ridge CTC student, select “Sign Up” to create a Blackboard login.
4. Access the course from your “My Dashboard” tab.
5. Follow instructions within the course to receive the certificate of completion.
6. Retain a copy of this certificate to submit with your nursing application.
Admission to the Nursing Program
Our pre-nursing major has changed to an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree in Medical Assisting – Nursing Foundation. All incoming students or current students who wish to change majors to nursing should select this major and concentration prior to applying to the Nursing Program. If already awarded a Medical Assisting degree, students should select the AAS degree in Healthcare Professions. If accepted into the Nursing Program, the student’s major will change to the Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) upon admission.
Nursing Admission Requirements Flyer
ASN Scoring Worksheet
QUALIFY FOR APPLICATION:
Nursing Program Admission Requirements
- Be fully admitted to Blue Ridge CTC (JumpStart students in the Healthcare Professions Jumpstart Program may apply to the Nursing Program while still enrolled as a high school senior but should wait to apply to the college as a degree-seeking student until after they receive their high school diploma)
- If transferring in credit from another institution, ensure transfer evaluation process is complete prior to the application deadline
- Any science courses taken more than five years prior to the ASN program start date are not counted as part of the application. Applicants will be allowed to repeat any science course only one (1) time, including withdrawals (W), within that 5-year period.
- Earn a “C” or better in all required courses for the program.
- Complete or be enrolled in the following courses: (Note – For decision-making regarding application scoring criteria only, midterm grades will be used for all required courses in which the student is currently enrolled. However, final grades must still meet the minimum requirements outlined here.)
- ENGL 101; MATH 114 OR MATH 101; and BIOL 120/121
- By the Spring Semester (for Summer/Fall applicants)
- By the Fall Semester (for Spring applicants)
- Traditional ASN Program Admission Requirements
- Earn an overall GPA of 2.5 (including transfer courses – see Academic Forgiveness policy).
- Earn at least a 63.3 composite score on the ATI TEAS test PRIOR to submitting application. **Students may only take the TEAS test twice within a calendar year with at least 30 days between attempts. The TEAS test must have been taken within the previous 24 months. Review TEAS registration information.
- Accelerated ASN Program Admission Requirements
- Earn an overall GPA of 3.0 (including transfer courses – see Academic Forgiveness policy).
- Earn at least a 70.0 composite score on the ATI TEAS test PRIOR to submitting application. **Students may only take the TEAS test twice within a calendar year with at least 30 days between attempts. The TEAS test must have been taken within the previous 24 months. Review TEAS registration information.
- Preference will be given to students who have completed corequisite ASN courses.
- Due to the time-intensive nature of the Accelerated ASN Program, it is highly recommended that students not work while in this program track. If students must work, it is recommended that they pursue the Traditional track instead (but limit hours and prioritize clinical/class commitments).
- Complete the Nursing Program Orientation Module on Blackboard+
- Access our Blackboard+ catalog of course offerings.
- Select the “Nursing Program Orientation” module from the list of courses and click the “Enroll Now” button.
- If you are a current student, select “Sign In” and use your Blackboard credentials. If you are not a current Blue Ridge CTC student, select “Sign Up” to create a Blackboard login.
- Access the course from your “My Dashboard” tab.
- Follow instructions within the course to receive the certificate of completion.
- Retain a copy of this certificate to submit with your nursing application (available from My Dashboard).
- Submit the nursing program application (typed and complete) along with all requested documentation prior to the application deadline for consideration (see below).
To prepare for the TEAS, it is recommended students:
APPLY TO THE NURSING PROGRAM:
A link to the Nursing Program Application will be available on the website only during the application period.
Students who wish to apply for the Traditional ASN (Nursing) program may apply to enter in the fall or spring semesters. The application period is as follows:
- Fall Admission (Traditional): January 1st to February 15th
- Spring Admission (Traditional): August 1st to September 15th
Students who wish to apply for the Accelerated ASN (Nursing) program may apply to enter in the summer semester. The application period is as follows:
- Summer Admission (Accelerated only): January 1st to February 15th
THE SPRING 2024 ASN PROGRAM APPLICATION IS NOW CLOSED:
Applications will not be accepted after September 15, 2023
WATCH FOR A DECISION ON ACCEPTANCE:
Admission into the Blue Ridge CTC ASN Program is contingent on both the applicant’s eligibility (using the minimum requirements noted above) and comparability to other applicants. Faculty use the following decision criteria and process to review applications for admission:
- Failure to submit a complete application, provide truthful information, send required documentation, or report felony or misdemeanor conviction, plea of nolo contendere, or pending court cases with the application will result in immediate disqualification and/or dismissal from the nursing program. Any subsequent application may not be considered. Information provided to the department of nursing is confidential and is used only for selection purposes.
- If an applicant does not meet all admission requirements (apart from prerequisite courses in which the applicant is currently enrolled), he or she will not be considered for admission.
- Applicants who do meet minimum eligibility requirements are scored by specific criteria (TEAS scores, grades, etc.)—detailed below. Total scores are ranked from highest to lowest, and the top applicants are offered *Conditional Acceptance into the ASN Program.
- All applicants will be notified via their Blue Ridge CTC email once a decision has been made, regardless of acceptance or non-acceptance.
- Applicants must accept the offer of *Conditional Acceptance within 7 calendar days of the offer email being sent or his or her offer will be rescinded.
*Conditional Acceptance – means the applicant is offered a seat in the ASN program as long as all requirements of admission are met by the deadline. Requirements include maintaining the minimum GPA, successfully completing all required courses with a grade of “C” or higher, submitting all documentation by the deadline, and attending a mandatory live orientation. Orientation dates are communicated within the nursing application but typically occur:
- Summer Admission Orientation: Late March to Early April
- Fall Admission Orientation: Mid-April
- Spring Admission Orientation: Early November
Applicants are generally scored by the decision criteria shown on the Scoring Worksheet. Applicants are ranked from the highest score to the lowest, and the top applicants are offered *Conditional Acceptance into the ASN program. This typically occurs via email to the student’s BRCTC email, so it is important for students to check their email regularly for updates.
IF CONDITIONALLY ACCEPTED, MEET CRITERIA BY DEADLINE:
All conditionally accepted students must submit to the following upon request to be fully admitted:
- Criminal Background Check
- Urine Drug Screen
- Physical Exam (using BRCTC ASN Program Health Form)
- TB Test (initial and annual)
- Immunization Series/Titers:
- COVID-19 vaccine — recommended but no longer required
- MMR series/titer
- Varicella series/titer
- Hepatitis B series, waiver, or titer
- Annual Influenza (Flu) vaccine
- AHA BLS Certification
- Completion of Program and Clinical Site-Specific Forms
- Purchase of Uniform Package & Supplies at time of orientation
- Any other requirements set forth at the time of conditional acceptance.
Deadlines vary by semester and availability of resources.
Questions on the Nursing Admission Process?
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.