Environmental Safety Technician
Frederick County, VA Government
Environmental Safety Technician
$47,964.00 – $58,995.00 Annually
3/5/2023 11:00 PM Eastern
Provide support to the Environmental Manager in the implementation, operation, and maintenance of environmental systems at the Frederick County Landfill.
The requirements for this position include, but are not limited to, those outlined below. All job functions, education and experience, general knowledge and abilities, and physical requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise. It is the employer’s discretion to add or change the duties or requirements of this position at any time.
- Perform maintenance on environmental control systems including: blowers, piping, air compressors, pumps, condensate sumps, etc.;
- Maintain maintenance records for leachate treatment and landfill gas control systems;
- Perform onsite landfill gas monitoring and wastewater analysis;
- Collect wastewater and stormwater samples for transport to offsite laboratory;
- Maintain compliance records associated with state and federal regulations;
- Conduct inspections of the landfill systems to detect existing or potential hazards and recommends corrective action or preventative measures; and,
- Assist with the development and implementation of safety programs related to the operations associated with the landfill.
- Must have a High school diploma/GED; Associate’s and/or Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred; and,
- Knowledge of relevant laws and regulations preferred.
One (1) year of experience in a related technical trade.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Must be mechanically inclined and have general knowledge of electrical, mechanical, and fluids principles. Must have the ability to understand environmental principals and incorporate them into work practices. Must have the ability to read and understand technical drawings and schematics and possess computer skills in the following programs: Microsoft Office Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Ability to communicate effectively with management, co-workers and general public. Ability to use field testing equipment, hand tools, and power tools. Must be dependable.
Certificates, Licenses and/or Registrations:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license with appropriate driving record; and,
- Must be current or able to obtain Landfill Operators license within 24 months of employment.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Requires physical effort working almost exclusively with moving and lifting items up to 50 pounds for an extended period of time, and walking and standing for extended periods of time, talking, stooping, sitting, kneeling, bending, reaching and gripping. Position requires being on call for emergencies and work flexible schedules – including holidays and weekends. : Indoor and outdoor work is conducted in variable weather conditions – including extreme heat/cold. Exposed to high or low temperatures, humid conditions, and other unfavorable weather conditions throughout the year.
All positions are subject to a criminal background check for any convictions that relate to the job duties and responsibilities.
The County’s EEO Utilization Report has been available at www.fcva.us/jobs.