West Virginia Invests is a state-funded grant program that covers the full cost of basic tuition and fees* for select certificate and associate degree programs at a West Virginia public two- or four-year institution. Priority is given to programs in high-demand fields, such as information technology or healthcare, as determined by the West Virginia Department of Commerce. This is a last-dollar-in program, meaning that it will pay for any amount up to the total cost of tuition and fees that isn’t already covered by other state or federal grants or scholarships.
This program is managed by the West Virginia Council for Community and Technical College System.
*The maximum award amount is limited to the total cost of basic tuition and fees charged to all students, regardless of program, minus other grant or scholarship aid. Certain programs charge additional fees to cover equipment and supply costs and other necessary expenses. These fees, along with the cost of textbooks and other course materials, must be paid by the student if other forms of financial aid are not available to offset these costs.
How do I qualify for an Invests grant?
You may qualify for a West Virginia Invests Grant if you:
- Were a legal resident of West Virginia for at least 1 year immediately before applying;
- Are a graduate of a public, private or homeschool program, or have successfully passed a high school equivalency test;
- Have not already earned a college degree (associate level or higher);
- Have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
- Have not already attempted 90 college credit hours
- Are willing to make a commitment to improving the state by living in West Virginia for at least two years after graduation and completing at least 2 hours of unpaid community service each academic term;
- Meet the minimum admissions requirements at an eligible institution and register for at least 6 credit hours; and
- Pay for and pass a drug screening before the start of each academic term.
I want to apply for an Invests grant. How do I do it?
- You must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA.
- Apply for admission in a qualifying program.
- Apply for the Invests Grant
I need more information about how the grant works. Where can I learn more?
Visit the WV Invests page to learn more about frequently asked questions, maintaining eligibility, and more!
What programs at BRCTC are included in the WV Invests Grant?
How do I apply to BRCTC?
Complete our online application.