WHAT IS VERIFICATION?
Verification is a review process in which the BRCTC Financial Aid Office determines the accuracy of various data elements reported by students on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The US Department of Education selects approximately 30% of all aid applicants for verification.
HOW LONG WILL VERIFICATION TAKE?
Verification may take up to four weeks AFTER all required documentation is received by the Financial Aid Office. We CANNOT complete the Verification process until we receive complete documentation. You will not be awarded federal, state, or institutional financial aid until all required information is received and processed by the Financial Aid office and your financial aid file is complete.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I AM SELECTED FOR VERIFICATION?
If you are selected for Verification, the requirements will show on your BRIDGE account. Log into BRIDGE, click on Financial Aid > Eligibility >Student Requirements, select the aid year then submit. By clicking on the highlighted links, you will be directed to the forms to print. You will also be notified by mail.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY APPLICATION IS SELECTED FOR VERIFICATION?
You must submit the following documentation to the BRCTC Financial Aid office. Once you submit verification documents, please do not make any corrections to your FAFSA, unless instructed to do so by the Financial Aid office.
- Submit the completed and signed Verification Worksheet for Dependent Students
- Transfer student and parent IRS data to your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
- May be required to submit 2014 W2’s for student and parent(s)
- Submit a completed and signed Verification Worksheet for Independent Students
- Transfer student and spouse (if applicable) IRS data to your FAFSA using the IRS data retrieval tool
- May be required to submit 2014 W2’s for student and spouse (if applicable)
Submit all required documents promptly.
HOW CAN I AVOID DELAYS?
- Fill out the Verification Worksheet completely.
- DO NOT leave items blank; if a question does not apply, write zero.
- Make sure all documents are attached and legible and signed by the appropriate parties.
- Respond to any request for additional information promptly.
WHAT HAPPENS WITH THE INFORMATION I SUBMIT?
After the IRS Data Retrieval is complete and the student submits the Verification Worksheet and any required 2014 W-2’s, the information is compared to the information you provided on your 2015-2016 FAFSA. The Financial Aid office will make changes (if necessary) to your FAFSA and submit those changes to the U.S. Department of Education. You will be notified of the changes made to your FAFSA data. The Financial Aid Office may require additional information to complete the verification process. If additional information is needed, you will be contacted by phone, your BRCTC email or by mail.
HOW DO I TRANSFER MY IRS INFORMATION TO MY FAFSA?
- Go to fafsa.ed.gov to login to the student’s record and “Make FAFSA Corrections.”
- Navigate to the Financial Information section of the FAFSA.
- If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, click on “Link to IRS” and click “OK.”
- You will be redirected to the IRS website. Enter the requested information and click “Submit.”
- Check the box “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA” and click “Transfer Now.”
- You will receive the message “You have successfully transferred your 2014 tax information.”
- Proceed through the remaining steps and electronically sign and submit your FAFSA. Dependent students will need a parent to also electronically sign.
- You are not finished until you have successfully submitted your FAFSA and received a confirmation number.
WHAT IF I CANNOT USE THE IRS DATA RETRIEVAL TOOL?
There may be times when a student and or parent cannot use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. If the IRS cannot be transferred, a student, parent, or spouse can submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript
- Go to irs.gov and click on “Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript,” or
- Call 1-800-908-9946 and follow the voice prompts, or
- Mail the IRS Form 4506-T (or Form 4506-T-EZ), Request for Transcript of Tax Return.
WHAT IF I DID NOT FILE AN INCOME TAX RETURN?
If you, your spouse and/or parent/stepparent are not required by the IRS to file an income tax return and you had earned income in 2014, the individual must submit copies of all 2014 W-2’s. If you have questions regarding your filing status, refer to “Who Must File” in Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information at www.irs.gov.
WHAT IF I DID NOT EARN ANY INCOME THIS TAX YEAR?
If you, your spouse and/or parent/stepparent did not earn any income during the current tax year, then the appropriate individual must indicate this status on the Verification Worksheet.
DO I NEED TO SUBMIT W2 FORMS?
Not every student or parent is required to submit W-2’s. Please refer to your Verification Worksheet and Student Requirements on BRIDGE.
WHO DO I CONTACT IF I HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE VERIFICATION PROCESS?
Please contact the Financial Aid office at (304) 260-4380 or email@example.com. You may also check the items by logging into BRIDGE. Click on Financial Aid > Eligibility >Student Requirements, select the aid year then submit. Here you will be able to see if you have any outstanding requirements.