WHAT IS VERIFICATION?
Verification is a process mandated by the U.S. Department of Education to ensure information provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is accurate. Each year, a large number of FAFSA applicants at Blue Ridge CTC are selected for Verification. Selection for Verification at BRCTC is generally determined by the information submitted on your FAFSA.
HOW LONG WILL VERIFICATION TAKE?
Verification may take up to four weeks AFTER all required documentation is received by the Financial Aid Office. We CANNOT complete the Verification process until we receive complete documentation. You will not be awarded federal, state, or institutional financial aid until all required information is received and processed by the Financial Aid office and your financial aid file is complete.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I AM SELECTED FOR VERIFICATION?
If you are selected for Verification, the requirements will show on your BRIDGE account. Log into BRIDGE, click on Financial Aid > Eligibility > Student Requirements, select the aid year then submit. By clicking on the highlighted links, you will be directed to the forms to print. You will also be notified by mail.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY APPLICATION IS SELECTED FOR VERIFICATION?
You must submit the following documentation to the BRCTC Financial Aid office. Once you submit verification documents, please do not make any corrections to your FAFSA, unless instructed to do so by the Financial Aid office.
- A completed and signed Verification Worksheet for Dependent Students
- A signed copy of your federal income tax return and W2 transcripts
- A copy of your parent(s’)/stepparent’s federal income tax return and W2 transcripts
- A completed and signed Verification Worksheet for Independent Students
- A signed copy of your (and your spouse’s, if applicable) federal income tax return and W2 transcripts
Submit all required documents promptly.
HOW CAN I AVOID DELAYS?
- Fill out the Verification Worksheet completely.
- DO NOT leave items blank; if a question does not apply, write zero.
- Make sure all documents are attached and legible and signed by the appropriate parties.
- Respond to any request for additional information promptly.
WHAT HAPPENS WITH THE INFORMATION I SUBMIT?
When the Financial Aid office receives the Verification Worksheet and signed appropriate federal income tax and W2 transcripts(s), the information on these documents is compared to the information you provided on your 2012-2013 FAFSA. The Financial Aid office will make changes (if necessary) to your FAFSA and submit those changes to the U.S. Department of Education. You will be notified of the changes made to your FAFSA data.
WHAT IF THERE IS A DISCREPANCY?
If information from documents you submit conflicts with your FAFSA data, the Financial Aid office may require additional information to clear up the discrepancy. If additional information is needed, you will be contacted by phone, your BRCTC email account or a Request for Additional Information will be mailed to you when applicable.
WHAT IS AN ACCEPTABLE INCOME TAX RETURN?
A signed summary of your Federal Tax Transcript (available from the IRS).
Note: The Form 8453 “Declaration for Electronic Filing” alone is NOT acceptable.
WHAT IF I DO NOT HAVE A COPY OF MY INCOME TAX RETURN?
There are four easy options to request your Federal Tax Transcript information:
- Go to www.irs.gov and click on “Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript.”
- Call 1-800-908-9946 and follow the voice prompts.
- Mail the IRS Form 4506-T (or Form 4506-T-EZ), Request for Transcript of Tax Return
- Visit the Martinsburg IRS Office
Monday — Friday 8:30 am — 4:30 pm (Closed for lunch 12:00 noon — 1:00 pm)
55 Meridian Parkway, Suite 107 (Near DMV on Edwin Miller Blvd)
WHAT IF I DID NOT FILE AN INCOME TAX RETURN?
If you, your spouse and/or parent/stepparent are required by the IRS to file an income tax return, a transcript must be submitted. If you have questions regarding your filing status, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or www.irs.gov.
If you, your spouse, or parent/stepparent worked during the current tax year, but are not required by the IRS to file an income tax return, you must still submit a W2 transcript.
WHAT IF I DID NOT EARN ANY INCOME THIS TAX YEAR?
If you, your spouse and/or parent/stepparent did not earn any income during the current tax year, then a Verification of Non-filing form (IRS form 4506T) must be submitted.
WHAT IS AN ACCEPTABLE SIGNATURE?
- Original or photocopied signature of filer
- Original or photocopied signature from one filer if a joint return was filed
WHO DO I CONTACT IF I HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE VERIFICATION PROCESS?
Please contact the Financial Aid office at (304) 260-4380 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also check the items by logging into BRIDGE. Click on Financial Aid > Eligibility > Student Requirements, select the aid year then submit. Here you will be able to see if you have any outstanding requirements.