The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a series of examinations, which allow students to show their knowledge in a wide range of subjects. The purpose of CLEP is to provide a means for students to receive college credit for learning acquired outside the traditional college classroom.
All CLEP tests are offered by appointment. The student pays the $87.00 testing fee directly to CLEP. In addition, the student will pay a non-refundable administration fee of $30.00 to Blue Ridge CTC. If you have any questions regarding CLEP tests, please contact the Testing Center at 304-260-4380. You can also e-mail CLEP email@example.com or go to www.collegeboard.org/clep.
CLEP Testing at Blue Ridge CTC
Blue Ridge CTC proctors all CLEP Exams listed in the CLEP Brochure. CLEP exams are computer-based and each is 90 minutes long, with the exception of College Composition (120 min) and College Composition Modular (160 min) with essay. It is strongly recommended students study from a textbook used in a college level course related to the subject matter. Also, the CLEP study guide is helpful for taking practice tests. Blue Ridge CTC accepts ONLY the CLEP tests listed on the Blue Ridge CTC requirement sheet.
Dual Registration Information
- Select a CLEP Exam. For assistance selected a CLEP exam, students should contact their academic advisor or the Registrar’s Office.
- Pay for your CLEP Exam. The CLEP $87.00 testing fee is paid directly to CLEP through its official CLEP website and must be paid prior to the day of testing. Students create a user profile and pre-pay the $87.00 by credit or debit card for the exam.
- Print Your Voucher. Once account creation is completed and the CLEP fee has been paid, students print a non-refundable testing voucher, valid for 6 months. Students MUST bring the printed CLEP Voucher Ticket to the Testing Center.
- Register with Blue Ridge CTC. Students must schedule an appointment to take the CLEP exam at Blue Ridge CTC. Upon registration, students will pay a $30 nonrefundable administration fee.
How To Schedule an Exam with Blue Ridge CTC
- Click on the Schedule Testing link below.
- Select your test from the group.
- Choose your exam.
- Select an exam date and time.
- Enter your personal information.
- Submit payment for any necessary fees. (Note: Testing fees vary based upon exam type)
- Select the Ready to Checkout to confirm your test.
The CLEP program has a policy that states that exam may not be retaken within a three month period. If the candidate retakes the exam during this period, the administration is considered invalid, the score is cancelled, and exam fees are forfeited.
CLEP may waive this policy for exams retaken after a three-month period upon special written request from an institution.
For more information, contact CLEP Services at 1-800-257-9558 or firstname.lastname@example.org
– Current Photo Id required.
– CLEP Voucher for exam required to complete assessment.
– Food, beverages & weapons not permitted in the Testing Center.
– Electronic devices & personal items stored in lockers provided.
– Only the exam candidate is allowed in the Testing Center.
– No unsupervised children. Childcare not provided.
– Examinees may not remove notes from the Testing Center.
– Calculators permitted for specific exams only & subject to inspection.
– No talking permitted during testing.
– Acts of dishonesty reported.
Day of Exam Requirements
Please bring the following items on the day of the CLEP exam:
- A current government-issued photo ID with signature
- A valid registration ticket for each CLEP exam
- Receipt of scheduled exam showing payment of the $30.00 administration fee to Blue Ridge CTC.
No one will be allowed to test without a valid acceptable photo ID, CLEP Voucher, or registration ticket, and the receipt for the Blue Ridge CTC proctoring fee.
- CLEP exam credits are recorded as transfer credit with a CLEP Transcript on student’s transcript at the time the student enrolls at Blue Ridge CTC.
- Official CLEP score reports must be sent to the Registrar’s Office. Students can request official score reports by contacting The College Board at collegeboard.org/clep.
- CLEP credit cannot be counted as part of the class load for financial aid purposes, or extracurricular scholarship eligibility.
- The maximum CLEP hours recorded on a Blue Ridge CTC transcript is 12 credit hours.
- Blue Ridge CTC has a list of recognized CLEP exams that it accepts for credit. It is the student’s responsibility to verify with Registrar’s Office that the exam s/he takes will apply to his/her program of study.
- Students are strongly encouraged to consult with an advisor prior to taking a CLEP exam.
- Every institution establishes its own policies regarding CLEP. If the student chooses to transfer to another institution, s/he should be aware of the CLEP requirement, minimum scores, and credit awarded for CLEP exams.
- Credits are awarded for CLEP exams according to the policy in effect at the time of the CLEP transcript.
- Students can take two CLEP exams on any given exam date.
- Students may not repeat the same CLEP exam within three months of the initial testing date.
- CLEP has a standard passing score of 50 in all exams except in the foreign language exams.
- All CLEP testing is computer-based. Students will receive unofficial CLEP transcript upon completion of the exam. (Exceptions: College Composition with essay and College Composition Modular with essay.)
- Blue Ridge CTC reserves the right to revise this policy without notice.
All test results are immediate except for the exams which require an essay. (These test scores will take approximately 3-4 weeks to receive as CLEP grades the essay.)
Blue Ridge CTC recognizes the following CLEP examinations:
|Examination Title||Minimum Score Required||Credit Awarded||BRCTC Course Satisfied|
|Composition and Literature|
|American Literature||50||6 hours||ENGL 204, ENGL 199|
|Analyzing & Interpreting Literature||50||3 hours||ENGL 210|
|College Composition Modular without Essay||50||3 Hours||ENGL 101|
|College Composition – English Composition with Essay||50||6 Hours||ENGL 101 and ENGL 102|
|College French, Level 1||50||6 hours||LANG 121|
|College French, Level 2||59||9 hours||LANG 122|
|College Spanish, Level 1||50||6 hours||LANG 111|
|College Spanish, Level 2||63||9 hours||LANG 112|
|College German, Level 1||50||6 hours||LANG 151|
|College German, Level 2||60||9 hours||LANG 299|
|Science and Math|
|Biology||50||6 hours||CAHS 101 & CAHS 102|
|Chemistry||50||6 hours||CAHS 128 & CAHS 199|
|Natural Sciences||50||6 hours||CAHS 103 & CAHS 104|
|College Mathematics||50||3 hours||MATH 101|
|College Algebra||50||3 hours||MATH 105|
|Pre Calculus||50||3 hours||MATH 108|
|Calculus||50||6 hours||MATH 207 & MATH 199|
|History and Social Sciences|
|American Government||50||3 hours||PSCI 101|
|History of the United States I||50||3 hours||HIST 201|
|Early Colonization to 1877|
|History of the United States II||50||3 hours||HIST 202|
|1865 to the Present|
|Human Growth and Development||50||3 hours||CAHS 201|
|Introduction to Educational Psychology||50||3 hours||EDUC 220|
|Introduction to Psychology||50||3 hours||PSYC 203|
|Introduction to Sociology||50||3 hours||SOCI 203|
|Principles of Macroeconomics||50||3 hours||ECON 205|
|Principles of Microeconomics||50||3 hours||ECON 206|
|Western Civilization I||50||3 hours||HIST 101|
|Western Civilization II||50||3 hours||HIST 102|
|Financial Accounting||50||3 hours||ACCT 201|
|Information System||50||3 hours||CAS 111|
|Introductory Business Law||50||3 hours||LGST 212|
|Principles of Management||50||3 hours||BUSN 218|
|Principles of Marketing||50||3 hours||BUSN 210|