FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Christine Aquino
September 12, 2013 (703) 658-8339
Military Times announces its Best for Vets: Career & Technical Colleges 2014
SPRINGFIELD, VA – Military Times today announced its Best for Vets: Career & Technical Colleges list for 2014.
The list shows veterans which schools have put the most thought and effort into tailoring programs and policies around their unique experience. By factoring in academic quality, Best for Vets provides service men and women a gauge by which to judge whether a school or degree program will truly benefit them.
The rankings are published in full in the September issue of Military Times EDGE magazine and online at MilitaryTimes.com as well as ArmyTimes.com, NavyTimes.com, AirForceTimes.com and MarineCorpsTimes.com.
Military Times EDGE is the premier publication for military transition, career and education information and guidance. Published by Gannett Government Media, the magazine is inserted into newsstand copies of Army Times, Navy Times, Marine Corps Times and Air Force Times, and distributed free at military transition offices across the country.
The heralded series of Best for Vets survey-based rankings includes: Career & Technical Colleges, Employers, Colleges, Business Schools, Franchises, and Law Enforcement.
“As with all of the Best for Vets rankings, Best for Vets: Career & Technical Colleges is an editorially independent news project that evaluates the many factors that make an institution a good fit for military veterans,” said Amanda Miller, editor of Military Times EDGE.
To qualify for the list, schools were evaluated in five categories: university culture, student support, academic policies, academic quality and financial aid, with university culture and student support carrying the most weight.
The extensive evaluation process also factored in statistics commonly used to track student success and academic quality, including student loan default rates, retention rates, graduation rates, student-faculty ratio and percentage of full-time faculty.
The schools named Best for Vets: Career & Technical Colleges 2014:
1. Mountwest Community and Technical College, Huntington, W.Va.
2. Fayetteville Technical Community College, Fayetteville, N.C.
3. Virginia College, headquartered in Birmingham, Ala.
4. Trident Technical College, North Charleston, S.C.
5. Thomas Nelson Community College, Hampton, Va.
6. West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Parkersburg, W.Va.
7. The Los Angeles Film School, Los Angeles, Calif.
8. Dakota County Technical College, Rosemount, Minn.
9. Minnesota School of Business, Richfield, Minn.
10. Broadview University, West Jordan, Utah
11. Golf Academy of America, headquartered in San Diego, Calif.
12. Western Technical College, El Paso, Texas
13. Columbus State Community College, Columbus, Ohio
14. Waukesha County Technical College, Pewaukee, Wis.
15. Davenport University, Grand Rapids, Mich.
16. Pine Technical College, Pine City, Minn.
17. Gateway Community and Technical College, Florence, Ky.
18. Wiregrass Georgia Technical College, Valdosta, Ga.
19. Ecotech Institute, Aurora, Colo.
20. Advanced Technology Institute, Virginia Beach, Va.
21. Tulsa Welding School, Tulsa, Okla.
22. The Refrigeration School, Phoenix, Ariz.
23. Mitchell Technical Institute, Mitchell, S.D.
24. TWS Jacksonville, Jacksonville, Fla.
25. Heald College, San Francisco, Calif.
26. Community College of Baltimore County, Baltimore, Md.
27. The Art Institute of California-Orange County, Santa Ana, Calif.
28. Ogden-Weber Applied Technology College, Ogden, Utah
29. Pittsburgh Technical Institute, Oakdale, Pa.
30. Hallmark College of Technology and Hallmark College of Aeronautics, San Antonio, Texas
31. IBMC College, Fort Collins, Colo.
32. College of Business and Technology (CBT College), Miami, Fla.
33. Aiken Technical College, Graniteville, S.C.
34. Savannah Technical College, Savannah, Ga.
35. Blue Ridge Community and Technical College, Martinsburg, W.Va.
36. Rosedale Technical Institute, Pittsburgh, Pa.
37. Guam Community College, Mangilao, Guam
38. McNally Smith College of Music, Saint Paul, Minn.
To view the complete rankings, including facts on total enrollment, military enrollment, whether tuition is covered by military education benefits, staff and academic support, accreditation and more, go to www.militarytimes.com/bestforvets-ctc2014.
# # #
About Gannett Government Media
Gannett Government Media was first established in 1940 as the Army Times Publishing Company, an independent publishing company reporting on military news and information. Since then, the company has expanded into defense and government news, and has launched or acquired more than 13 periodicals and has extended its brand globally into the online and broadcasting arenas. Gannett Government Media is a subsidiary of Gannett Co., Inc. For more information, visit www.gannettgov.com.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an international media and marketing solutions company that informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its powerful network of broadcast, digital, mobile and publishing properties. Our portfolio of trusted brands offers marketers unmatched local-to-national reach and customizable, innovative marketing solutions across any platform. Gannett is committed to connecting people ¬ and the companies who want to reach them ¬ with their interests and communities. For more information, visit www.gannett.com.